Obviously owners, including Dalziel, don’t like to get the news from a trainer that their horse is too slow – but it happens to even some of the most expensive and impeccably bred horses.
While owners are naturally disappointed – and who can blame them – it’s better to get the news early. There is no point stringing people along and giving false hopes to owners throwing more money at horse that isn’t going to make in on the track.
The bulk of owners are thankful for the frank and honest assessment and many have gone into another horse with Dalziel Racing as they appreciate the honesty.
Dalziel says it has always been the policy of his trainers to be up front and honest which has resulted in an amazing number of return clients, many of whom have had success and then returned to take shares in other horses.
Consistency is the key in racing and Dalziel Racing is more than happy with what they’ve achieved over the years. The results are consistent and the number of Group winners and Stakes winners and placings total more than 30.
The purchase to winners strike rate is around 75 per cent. There have been more than 300 winners from the 150 that have raced.
Dalziel Racing buys the horses, retains a share in it with the syndicated owners, and manages the horse from start to finish. If the horse isn’t going well, Dalziel Racing doesn’t bail out and say find a new manager and trainer. He sticks with the ownership group until the horse finishes races or is sold. It’s a case of working with the owners.
The international market is tough and while Dalziel Bloodstock would look to making an overseas purchase for a client, they are happy to stick with the local and New Zealand markets which they know so well.
With the syndication process, Dalziel is looking for horses that are affordable but also ones that he and Moody believe are well and truly worth buying.
And for those wanting to take their ownership to a higher level and are keen to explore other options, Dalziel Racing Bloodstock can assist with your next purchase along with providing:
- PROFESSIONAL bloodstock consultancy.
- INVESTMENT strategies across a sales season (targeting different sales for certain investments).
- THE placement of your horse with the right trainer to maximize your return potential.
- WHOLE of life management of your horse from a weanling or yearling selection through to post racing and breeding which includes specific broodmare investments. Horses can be sold and moved on to other racing jurisdictions if they don’t reach the expectations of owners. And a home is actively sought for them to pursue other equine pursuits once their racing career is over and they’ve been retired.
There is also a lucrative broodmare market for fillies and mares that have had success on the track, and also those that have solid pedigrees.
- Dalziel Racing has enjoyed great success with purchases such as Bring Me The Maid, who was bought for $105,000 at the 2013 Gold Coast Magic Millions and raced 19 times for 3 wins and $785,000 in prizemoney. She was a Group 2 winner and multiple stakes placed mare that almost provided Dalziel Racing with the ultimate success, running third in the Group 1 Golden Slipper. Bring Me The Maid was sold for $900,000 at the Magic Millions Broodmare Sale providing clients with an amazing return on investment.
- Soon after Bring Me The Maid’s success, Catch A Fire was bought for $40,000 out of the Magic Millions sale ring in January 2014. The daughter of Sebring racing 19 times, for three wins – one of which was the Group 2 Angus Armanasco Stakes – and five placings for $248,560 in stakes. Not bad results for a $40,000 purchase.
- After a short but successful racing career, Catch A Fire was sold for $950,000 as a broodmare through the same sale ring she was purchased in three years earlier. Another huge result for Dalziel Racing clients.
If you are looking to take your thoroughbred investment to the next level and want to explore all options outside of the normal syndication process, then contact Wylie Dalziel for a confidential conversation today.